The audio below was recording using just vol.1, but I will be replacing the appropriate lines with additional parts from vol.2 and vol.3 as they're released.
Viewing entries tagged
I thought I play around with the newly introduced poly-legato feature in Loegria 1.1
and see it compares to the regular sustain patches in this post.
To do this, I played in triadic chords with the sustain patches, added cc1 (mod wheel) data,
and then copied this to another track an octave lower for the low strings.
After that, I copied each of those to matching Legato tracks and adjusted each of the triad members' velocity data,
as that is how Loegria determines the polyphonic function.
Rinse and repeat for the half sections, and c'est voila!
poly-legato vs sustain
- 0:00 - Full Sustain
- 0:25 - Full Legato
- 0:49 - 1/2 Section Sustain
- 1:13 - 1/2 Section Legato
To further show how I've personally used these two different libraries,
here are two demos that hopefully show off some strengths of each library.
Ultimately, I think combining the two libraries will give the most flexibility,
and offer the most variety in ensemble sizes and articulations.
Here is a comparison of the Albion 1 & 2 Brass Longs and Legato patches.
From Albion 1, I'm using the Horns/Bones, and from Albion 2,
I've used the Horns/Euphoniums and Sacbuts.
- 0:00 - Albion 1 Horns/Bones Longs
- 0:16 - Albion 2 Horns/Euphoniums Longs
- 0:32 - Albion 2 Sacbut Longs
- 0:51 - Albion 1 Horns/Bones Legato
- 1:05 - Albion 2 Horns/Euphonium Legato
- 1:19 - Albion 2 Sacbut Legato
Here is a comparison of the Albion 1 & 2 String Shorts Patches.
- 0:00 - Albion 1 Shorts
- 0:20 - Albion 2 Shorts
- 0:39 - Albion 1 Pizz
- 0:59 - Albion 2 Pizz
- 1:18 - Albion 2 Shorts (con sordino)
- 1:37 - Albion 2 Col Legno
- 1:57 - Albion 1 Violin1/Violin2 Ostinatum + Celli Ostinatum (Time Machine)
More comparisons to come, including horns.
Here is a comparison of the Albion 1 & 2 String Legato Patches.
I've divided this into high and low strings. Lines are played at the octave, depending on the patch used.
- 0:00 - Albion 1 Violin1/Violin2/Viola (con sordino)
- 0:11 - Albion 1 Violin1/Violin2/Viola
- 0:20 - Albion 1 Violin1/Violin2 (octaves)
- 0:29 - Albion 2 High Strings
- 0:38 - Albion 2 High Strings 1/2 Section
- 0:47 - Albion 1 Cello/Bass (octaves)
- 0:56 - Albion 2 Low Strings
- 1:05 - Albion 2 Low Strings 1/2 Section
More string comparisons to come, including shorts.
As a follow up, and via a suggestion from Andy Blaney, I've increased the velocity on the first note of all
Albion 2 examples in the audio below in order to create a harder attack on the first note of each phrase.
Spitfire Audio has released the next iteration of their (mostly orchestral) Albion series, with Albion 2 'Loegria'.
If the focus of vol. 1 was on the epic cinematic style, vol. 2 is all about cinematic beauty and detail.
Here is a comparison of string longs from both libraries playing the same material.
Articulations in both Albion 1 & 2
- 0:00 - Albion 1 String Longs (con sordino)
- 0:25 - Albion 2 String Longs (con sordino)
- 0:47 - Albion 1 String Longs
- 1:10 - Albion 2 String Longs
Articulations in only Albion 2
- 1:36 - Albion 2 Strings 1/2 Section
- 1:58 - Albion 2 Strings Flautando
More string comparisons to come, including legato and shorts.
UPDATED with new Loegria 1.1 String Longs example.
Loegria 1.1 Longs
- 0:00 - Flautando
- 0:41 - 1/2 Section
- 1:22 - Full Section